quick follow-up on hypothes.is + evaluation

I just wanted to sum up our quick discussion about using hypothes.is for annotating our readings in the course and to say a quick word about evaluation. First, nuts and bolts:

If you are using your own machine:

• download the Chrome browser (if you don’t already have it) and the Chrome extension for hypothes.is
  • navigate to a text you want to annotate
  • click the hypothes.is icon in the extensions area of the browser window

Screenshot_2016-02-08_16_10_57

• the tools will pop up on the right-hand side of the window and you’re up and going

If you are not using your machine or are a die-hard Firefox/etc. person:

• first try dragging the hypothes.is bookmarklet to the bookmark bar
  • if the browser you’re using will permit you to do this, navigate to a page you want to annotate and then click the applet icon in the bookmark bar, and you’re good: if it worked, you’ll see the tools on the right-hand side

Screenshot_2016-02-08_16_16_25

• if the browser won’t let you, navigate to hypothes.is and enter the URL of the page you want to annotate into the appropriate cell

Screenshot_2016-02-08_16_18_45

• on some occasions (say, if you’re accessing something via the library proxy), this won’t work, and you’ll get stuck in a redirect loop and time out

Bottom line: if you save the annotating work for the course for times you’re with your own computer, you’ll never have problems. If you can’t, you still should be just fine most of the time.

In terms of evaluation, I view your annotating much the way I view your participation: I think it’s important and value it highly (15% of your grade in each case); I care about both quantity and quality of both; I don’t want to force you to do either according to a reductive template to earn a grade for both. So be active in annotating texts, just as you are in participating in class. At the end, you will have a substantial body of work for me to evaluate (and I can see your whole output very easily in hypothes.is, unlike your class participation!). I don’t expect you to be profound all the time; I just want to see your reading/thinking process spontaneously at work. Added bonus: those of you who are naturally shy or retiring in class can use the distinctive privacy of cyber-annotations to step out a bit more!